The first thing anyone sees of your house is the garden. Kerb appeal is a term that is frequently used in the property development and estate agency world, as it is what a buyer sees from the street that makes a property attractive, or not.
A decision to view a property or, indeed, to buy a property, is made extremely quickly. And it is true what they say – “you never get a second chance to make a first impression”. The important consideration is to ensure that the viewer actually does enter the property for a viewing. You do not want them to be put off a viewing because their first impression, caused by the state of a garden, is that the property is not well cared for.
Here are our top 10 tips to ensure your property has kerb appeal and is as inviting as possible:
- Mow the grass and cut edges;
- Cut back any overgrown bushes or trees;
- Do all the weeding and dead heading required including any paths;
- Consider placing some pots of brightly coloured flowers along the path or at the front door;
- Make sure any gates are painted and hanging properly and fences are fixed;
- Make sure the garage door is also in good condition;
- Hide the bins, either in the garage or in a suitable bin store area;
- Power wash any driveways and paths;
- Freshen up walls with a lick of paint;
- Add a little extra sparkle with clean windows and well-maintained window sills.